YBC® 12 Week Transformation 2.0

 Ned on his wedding day 2014.

Ned on his wedding day 2014.

Do you remember earlier in the summer when my brother Allen attempted to change his lifestyle by incorporating healthier meal choices and regular workouts? Well, if you do, then you also remember that he wasn’t able to complete his 12 week transformation due to a few different factors - mostly a new job, a new city and a new school schedule. We did have a lot of interest in Allen’s journey, and so today we’re excited to announce that we have a new volunteer for the YBC® 12 Week Transformation - our Editorial Director LG’s husband, Ned.

Ned has always been passionate about health and fitness, but like many of us, has fallen off track and is finding it hard to get back into his routine. Ned is a U.S. Army Special Forces Officer, who has spent much of his life in top physical condition, preparing for deployments, marching miles with a heavy rucksack, and performing Olympic-style lifts. But, like a lot of us, Ned thrives on routine and this past year has been anything but - he welcomed a new baby boy, moved to Washington, D.C., and started a new assignment that has him traveling much more than normal. All this change has taken him off his routine, and as a result, he’s gradually gained over 30 pounds.

So now, over the next 12 weeks, Ned will attempt to revert back to his old habits by logging his food, consistently making healthier eating choices, and committing to workouts 5-6 days a week. Like Allen, he's also agreed to let the #ybccommunity follow along in a three-part series documenting his nutrition choices, his workouts, and his attempt at becoming a healthier, more fit person--as well as any struggles along the way.

If you have any support for Ned, or you’ve had experience falling off your health and fitness goals, please comment below and let us know how you got back on board!


Find out more about where he's coming from and where he sees himself going over the coming weeks: 

1. Describe your nutrition and fitness lifestyle up until this point. Due to my career with the Army, I’ve always been physically fit. I enjoy being active, whether it’s hiking or lifting, and as a member of an elite military unit, being in top physical condition comes with the territory. Up until the past 5 years, I never really had to watch what I eat, but now that I’m getting older, I just don’t have that luxury. In order to keep my weight in an optimal, healthy range, I have to reduce my sugar intake, watch my alcohol consumption and overall make healthy eating choices, which when you’re up all night with a baby, traveling, or running to and from meetings, is tough. I’m not one of those guys, like many of my friends, that can just eat what they want and workout and stay fit.

Ned-transformation-weight-loss

2. Why did you decide to change your health and fitness lifestyle? To be honest, I know I can do better. I represent an elite, specialized division of the military, and I do not look or feel the part. I want to do better and I know I can do better. I actually (sadly) describe myself as ‘fit-fat’ because I do workout pretty regularly (when I’m not traveling) but you probably couldn’t tell by looking at me! I had the excuse of a move, a new position and a new baby which all threw me off my routine—but that’s it—those are just excuses and now I need to get serious because I know I’m better than this.

3. What was a typical day of food, drinks, and exercise for you? I actually don’t eat that unhealthy which is what is frustrating. I have espresso for breakfast, a wrap at lunch, nuts for a snack, and then chicken and veggies for dinner—and while that’s not the best, it’s pretty healthy. I don’t eat fast food regularly or eat out much. However, I do like my beer. I am always looking to try a new brewery and even hope to own one day, so beer is, in part, my passion. I usually end the day with 2-3 beers which I think is where things are catching up to me.

 Sometimes big events can throw you off your routine—like a new baby!

Sometimes big events can throw you off your routine—like a new baby!

4. What is now a typical day of food, drinks, and exercise for you?  I’m going to try to (loosely) follow the Keto diet. A few of my buddies have seen great success in following it - but they are much more knowledgeable than I am. I will go to them for pointers but for the most part, I’m looking to increase my healthy fats and proteins and reduce my carbs. For breakfast I will have a bulletproof coffee and some eggs or yogurt, lunch is salmon with a spinach salad (oil and vinegar dressing) or a protein and veggies, nuts or cheese for a snack, dinner will be about 6-8oz of protein and some mushrooms or asparagus tips. And no beer! I feel like Keto or not, consistency is key.

5. What are you most nervous about? Staying focused even if I don’t see results for a few weeks. It’s hard to stay motivated when you don’t see any weight loss or feel your clothes fitting looser, so I’m hoping I can stay committed and determined if I don’t see progress immediately. In the past I’ve tried to follow marcos but when I don’t see results in a few weeks, I get frustrated and just throw it all out the window.

6. What are you most excited about? Getting back into optimal shape and feeling better physically.

7. What will be the biggest change for you? You guessed it - cutting out beer. We often hang out with friends on the weekend, or watch football, and it will be a little difficult to not partake when relaxing with friends and cutting loose. Some people love cheeses or guacamole—I like beer. I will have a couple beers on the weekend or else it would just be torture and I still need to live my life and have fun!

8. How do you plan on committing to this lifestyle change for the next few months? I know LG will be helpful in keeping me on track. She eats really healthy and works out regularly so she’s a great example to have around. I’d be in trouble if I had someone at home who was cooking unhealthy foods, eating out, or not working out, but that’s not the case. Ha, no excuses! Also, she’s supportive without being annoying! She knows my goals and what I’m hoping to achieve so it’s nice to have someone in my corner pushing me along.

Transformations don’t have to always be someone starting from scratch and taking on an entire new lifestyle. Often, many of us are on the right track, and know what needs to be done, but can slowly fall off somewhere along the way and that can be when it’s hardest to start back. It will be interesting to follow someone who has a strong foundation of mental toughness, physical grit and nutritional knowledge in their journey to get back on track and I hope you enjoy the ride!



from Blog - YOGABYCANDACE https://ift.tt/2N8deax
via IFTTT
loading...

No comments